Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Surprise Shower

Last night I went to my knitting group as usual but didn't knit a stitch.  I walked in and was completely surprised by a well-planned wedding shower.  I really couldn't believe it.  It was so above and beyond what I expected.  Those women are awesome.  It just goes to show what a little sign on a board in a Starbucks can bring.  I am very happy that I helped bring all these lovely ladies together.  I've made friends, they've made friends.....I think I'm still a bit stunned by how much of a success it was.  I remember being so nervous the first night I went.  Mom came along with me and we sat there, one lady showed up, it was Wendy.  The next time or two Lanette showed and for a while we three got to know each other.  Then Lesley and so on and on. 

Luckily Wendy took charge of advertising because I just didn't have time to do it.  She put our SNK in the paper, gathered everyones emails and made sure the lines of communication were open.  I may have started the group but Wendy made it what it was today.  Without her, it wouldn't have been nearly as succesful.  Thanks to Wendy.

There is just something inherently calming about sitting in a group of women working on a similar craft, having similar stories and worries, getting to know one another.  Every single one of them brings something different to the group.  I've had my nights where I was disappointed in the conversation or hormonal and cranky but if making friends was all about only happy times......it wouldn't mean nearly so much.  I will miss them all.

One of the reasons it was so shocking too is I've spent 2 1/2 years waiting to leave.  That party made me realize I really AM leaving.  Three months.  I have three months left in this place where even though I've not been perfectly happy, I've definitely made my way, I've definitely made myself at home.  Leaving will be hard, living here would be even harder.

1 comment:

  1. this post speaks to me. I too am planning on leaving the place that I have called home for many years. I have been happy, for the most part, but have been alone too. I have friends, yes, but there haven't been any love prospects. It is becoming very real now that I am looking at houses.

    best of luck to you and George, the adventure sounds so idealic!

    ReplyDelete