Tuesday, September 14, 2010

On the Fence

I keep going back and forth about when to tell my employer that I'll be leaving.  There are two hands involved here.  On the one hand, I really only have to give them two weeks notice.  That's all they ask for.  Great.  Lessens the liklihood that I'll be asked to leave when I tell them etc. etc.  That's happened to me before and let me tell you, it's seriously stressful.  Now with a mortgage, it would be nuts and crazy.

On the other hand, I'll be leaving during the down part of the season, they love me (and I them) and all the hard work (well, not all but some!) I've done over the last nearly 4 years will get lost if all I have is two weeks to get my ducks in a row for the next person.  I don't want everything I've accomplished here to be lost.  Not for some self-absorbed living in imfamy kind of reason, but because I truly care about my employer and the people here.  I think I've gotten them on the right track in many ways and I want to ensure that that track is followed.

So there's the dilemma: would they let me go if I told them I was leaving on say....Oct. 8th or so even though the wedding is Nov. 20th and my last day of work would probably be a few days before that?  That's giving nearly a months notice.

Maybe the compromise would be to figure out how long I'd actually need to get all those ducks in a row......three weeks?  And go with that.  That seems logical.  I can't imagine them letting me go for a two-week notice, they certainly won't let me go for a three week one, especially since it would help them if I could get my brain down on paper to help the next person.   Hm.  Logic.....it's a grand 'ol thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment