Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Travels and other doings

This week is nutso.  I know I sound like a broken record but I'm still amazed at how quickly time is passing.  Over the weekend I had to dye some wool using elderberries that were about to go bad.  I experimented a little too much and got an ugly hue of brownish purple on one skein of handspun yarn (73 yards) but on the other skein I got this:
Elderberry dye bath with an afterbath of 2:1 water:vinegar

And though the picture doesn't quite do it justice, it's a lovely ashy shade of rose.  Very happy with this hue.  This is an 82 yard skein.  I have more dye bath to work with but as for the failure, note to self: don't used iodized salt in an afterbath!  The salt was supposed to bring out the blue-ish hues and there's definitely some brown in there.  ick.  Oh well.  And it was yarn, not just fiber.  Live and learn and stop experimenting QUITE so much.  There is such a thing as overdoing it. 

So now I have to stop all this and start getting ready to drive out and see G.  I love a road trip!  It's just getting on the road that can be a headache.  Here's hoping my backache will survive the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment