Friday, March 18, 2011

Farmday Friday; Yay!

I almost forgot Farmday Friday!  I was sittin' on my couch letting my mind wander for the first time this crazy day and thinking about my blog; I love my blog.  I love that 14 people love my blog.  I am not so stupendous as to lust after 40 or more but hay, once I'm on the farm, who knows what adventures might draw people here.  It could happen.  Truly.

So FARM.  Lessee........Sewing!  Oh yes; that one skill I am still trying to master.  I have a sewing machine from maybe 1965.  It's in pretty good shape.  I got it for $10 at an auction and it came nested inside this very pretty cherry laminate wooden table with three drawers.  Handy dandy.  One of my first projects on it was this skirt:


I didn't use a pattern.  I simply laid the fabric on my bed.  Used a yard stick to cut at approximately the same angle on both sides, then sewed it up and put elastic in the waist band.  Ziiiiip!  Done.

Easy peasy.  Too easy.  I have to challenge myself with sewing and I'm not doing a very good job of it which is not like me.  I think I just have to love what I'm working with.  "Do what you love" and all that.  Annnnnd therein lies the problem.

If I'm on a farm, I'm not going to be able to do what I love on a whim.  "Oh. I feel like.........knitting today" etc.  That will not fly.  I will have to, as my father says, suck it up, and do what I have to do.  So what's the lesson here (there's always a lesson).  I think our society is geared towards pinballing from one preferred stimulus to the next based on knee-jerk, whimsical desires.  Now, don't get me wrong, you can't always treat your life as ser'ous bidness.  BUT if you never push through and do those things that must be done even though you don't feel like it, then you'll never know the self-respect that comes from having that discipline.

OH.  Don't get me started on discipline!  I'm still teaching myself that one.  So off I go this weekend, to diligently work on learning to sew.  Because seriously, I really don't think my husband is gonna wanna wear skirts.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet skirt ~~ do I know anything about sewing? ~~ absolutely not ~~ so ~~ I was glad to hear something about sewing could be e-a-s-y. Now then, if it were me, my skirt attempt would have ended up being a handkerchief ~~

    ReplyDelete