Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Job = it's not your life

I have this theory (I love theories) that we are not supposed to make our job our lives but make living our jobs instead.  For the most part, I do a pretty good job of seeing life that way but once in a while I get stuck in a rut and it usually has something to do with an imbalance between what my life truly is (not my job) and what I'm doing with my life (nothing but working).

Recently I stopped doing everything I love.  I stopped weaving, spinning, reading, sewing, cooking.....just about everything I enjoyed while home I gave up on.  I would go to work.  Come home.  Flop on the couch and watch a movie.  Get up.  Make a pbj sammich for dinner or a combo of different badforme munchies.  Flop on the couch.  Watch another movie.  Pass out at 10:30pm but barely able to enunciate by 9:30pm.

What a life(job).

I was not living.  I was in a rut.  And I am lucky enough to have a husband who is a crow bar.

That man is like a living shaft of truth in all situations and though it causes some upset to both of us, I wouldn't have it any other way.  So I came back from my holiday with the mantra: "Detach, invest less, be cynical" running through my head.  And it's working.  Caring too much is a big pitfall of mine and doing it at work is just asking for your superiors to suck you down like a long, long, long piece of spaghetti until you're all gone and there's nothing left of you but some starchy water sloshing around on the plate, making the sauce all runny.

Ew.  Who wants that?  So tonight I'm knitting, watching the last movie and sending it back to Netflix, I've cancelled Netflix so tomorrow........well that's exciting.  Maybe I'll actually do some sewing.  Welcome back farmgirl.  Welcome back to the land of the living.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with all of this--with one caveat. I'm big into the idea of vocation. If your job allows you to pursue your vocation, awesome. If you can make your job BE your vocation, even better. I'm working really hard to get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it doesn't pigeon hole you I agree. Too often we are asked "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and what they should be asking is "Who do you want to be when you grow up?"

    ReplyDelete