Friday, August 26, 2011

Farmday Friday!!!!

CIDER!

Mmmmmm!  Cider season is nearly here!

Hubs and I are always scoping Craigslist and Freecycle for farmy goodness for free or otherwise.  Last year we were lucky enough to find an old cider press for a reasonable price.  What luck!  We'd been looking for one for a while and if you just keep looking, eventually something pans out.

So last Fall he went knocking on doors and so did I.  What for?  Apples what for!  Have you ever noticed how many people have apple trees in their yards and just let the fruit fall off the tree, on to the ground to rot and fester?  For shame!!

There is free food out there if you just look. I have a couple trees in my neighborhood I get apples off every year.  A neighbor has a bunch of apple and pear trees that he lets me pick from for free.  One year I made apples crisp once a week.  The guys at work loved me. Tell me if you want the recipe, it's simple simple yumminess.










So free apples everywhere, and pears too.  We collect them and deal with them as we will.  I make crisps here.  He makes hard cider there.  I kinda like what he does a little better.

This Farmday Friday is all about homemade cider.  It's amazingly delicious.  We sampled it straight from the press then about 6 months later we had the fermented hard stuff which is also awesome.  Hubs likes an experimental kitchen like I do; sometimes he throws in raspberries, blackberries, pears and the like and creates a concoction that can 'ner be outdone.

Enjoy!  And don't mind the bugs, they're extra protein anyway.

2 comments:

  1. That's really awesome! My sister has pear trees in her backyard, and I know should would definitely appreciate if someone came by to pick them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year hubs is making 'peary' I think, nothing but pears. Can't wait! Their my favorite! Why don't you give it a try?

    ReplyDelete