Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How Knitting Saved My Life

I used to be a smoker.  People who learn this about me are often shocked.  I don't look like a smoker they say.  Exactly what does a smoker look like?  Hm.  Who knows.

So anyway I quit about....6 years ago.  I've faltered here and there but all and all I quit cold turkey and I pretty much owe it all to knitting.  The Christmas of the year I quit, I knitted 12 hats for kids aged 8-16 who were tenants of the State, living in a safe house where I worked.  I never got a thank you.  Meh.

I am just thankful that I had some 12 people to knit for because as Dar Williams puts it "So big surprise, I just stopped smoking, yeah, laaadeeeda now don't remind me, I think I'm going insane"

Three days.  That's what it took before I knew it would take.  But I had to keep my hands busy.  I had also decided to go on the South Beach Diet and lose 30 lbs. 

Did I ever mention I enjoy a challenge?  Keeps things interesting.  I've been accused of creating them and seeking them out.  Well it worked.  I learned to knit, thanks to my mom (and Debbie Stoller; author of Stitch-n-Bitch) and have never looked back.
 
I pick it up when I am stressed, anxious, happy, sad, worried, fearful, calm, peaceful or quiet.  I take it with me nearly everywhere I go.  I am lucky enough to have a husband who sincerely loves my hand knit gifts to him.


I drool over patterns I know I'll never try because I'm way too practical and try desperately to knit something for just about everyone in my life.  Not always a good idea (knit tie out of sock yarn? Yeah, don't try it)
 
I'll never give it up.  Almost on a daily basis I thank God for my hands.  I hope when I am old and gray I can still use them nearly as well as I can now.  They are the one of my brightest blessings. 

And if not....anybody know how to knit with your toes?  Yeah, I'm all over that.

1 comment:

  1. Something to keep your hands busy, thank goodness for that! I am glad for crocheting because it not only keeps my hands busy but my mind busy. Love the things you've made! (Yes, even the tie. Hey, you tried!)

    ReplyDelete