Monday, August 22, 2011

Ode To Men


Every once in a while I feel the need to post something such as this.  A post in praise of men.  These days it seems that men are portrayed by many of the media as dumb and invalid.  What a shame.

Without MEN I would not want to live in this world.  And it's not just because they are good at lifting heavy objects.  Men....despite what some people think.....are smart.

Here's the deal; they are smart in different ways.....

My great uncles and grandma on Coney Island
It drives me so completely out of my mind that in today's society where everyone is preaching how we have to be tolerant, we have to accept different viewpoints, different religions and different physical attributes the biggest boldest most obvious way that we can be tolerant in our day to day lives is completely and utterly ignored.

Men are different than women.  Women are different than men.  THIS IS WHY WE WORK WELL TOGETHER.

And tolerance?  Even the word implies that you do little more than not say negative things about a group of people, I do more than that with men.

 I value and respect the ways they are different from me because when we are together; it's like peanut butter and jelly, peas and carrots, peaches and cottage cheese, man.

It's awesome.  When I'm over emotional and obsessive, men are calm and collected.  This drives some women wild.  They think that because the man is not reacting in the same way as they are that they are either stupid or belligerent or they 'just don't get it'.

I'm here to tell you that you don't have to be an emotional mess to get something.  You don't have to react as if the sky is falling.  Besides, how useless would it be for him to react the same way I do?  We'd both stand there wailing and gnashing our teeth and all that would be achieved is a sore throat and a stiff jaw.

I remember one time an acquaintance was telling me about how her and her husband had gotten lost.  She was the navigator and he had tried to help and it was obvious that he was the better navigator from the way it sounded. 

Dad
I said, "Well, men can be much better navigators than women" to which her jaw dropped, she was duly offended as if she represented the entire female race and started to say "You DID NOT just say that!" at which time someone walked in and I talked over her, to them, so I would not have to show what I was really feeling and shout "DITTO!"

Now before you go doing the same thing and deleting me from your followed journals take a moment to hear my side of it.  We women (yes I am a women and am therefore including myself in this statement) can be so stinkin' knee-jerk about our reactions can't we?  So just hang on.

First: I said 'CAN BE' which implies that of course there are times where women are better navigators than men.  I, for one,  am a fantastic navigator.  But that does not mean that all women are fantastic navigators.  As a rule, men have minds that can do the analytical stuff much better than women.  There are always always exceptions of course but there will also always be some things that men are better at than women and women are better at than men as a whole. AND THAT'S GREAT!

Why?  Because if all women started being better at all the things men are typically better at......wouldn't we start............feeling like men?

Now I love men.  I do.  But I don't want to be one.  No thanks.  I don't think that me not being better at the same things he is means I'm inferior.  Just different.  If I'm feeling inferior that's my problem brought on by me or the negative messages constantly slung at me (goodbye television, I do not miss you) but it's still my problem and not his.
 
My bro and his son
So please, 'Save the Males', love your father, your brother, your husband, your nephew for the wonderful men that they are.  Don't wring your hands over the differences between you.  Try instead to remember that two pieces of a puzzle will never fit together if they are exactly the same.

2 comments:

  1. You rock. Pure and simple. G-R-E-A-T post. The male/female thing drives me nuts. I had a feminist friend go off at me once about how I was "wasting my life" at home and how I "deserved more than that". Apparently if I don't fight every man in my life and gossip with all the ladies about how men are stupid and can't to anything right, then I'm out of the club. Seriously?? Give me a break. An older "mom" friend of mine (who has 11 kids) said to me "you know, feminism was not intended to mean that we were anti-men or anti-home. Feminism meant we were supposed to be able to choose what we wanted to do. Some of us still wanted the choice to be home." :) Great post, Fearless Farmgirl. Thanks for putting yourself out there and cheering for the guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MT!

    I've heard the same thing from feminists aged 45-55. It wasn't supposed to be about man hating but I guess something went wrong eh? The funny thing is, I once considered myself a feminist and felt I had no choice but to have a career.

    If only I had known. Ah well, live and learn.

    ReplyDelete