Sunday, September 11, 2011

Today

It would be very easy to get wrapped up in what today signifies.  It's all over the news.  The public radio station has been broadcasting about it all day.  And if, by the end of all this, I start to feel low, anxious and a little out of sorts, I actually have to stop and ask myself why?

Maybe I'm dehydrated.

So now I'm sitting here with a big glass of water.  

But no, I'm overdosing on the emotion of today's date and it's not doing anyone any good, least of all me.  Me getting overly emotional won't take back what happened 10 years ago.

I detest the way something like September 11th is taken from us and turned in to a circus by the media.  I don't need them to tell me how to grieve, or even if I should be grieving still.  I do, but not for the reasons you might think and I won't share them, sorry, there are some things that can't be helped.

So to all those who think that we shouldn't remember them only on the date of the anniversary I say this to you:

We don't.  Every time I get checked at the airport more stringently than I used to be, I remember.

Every time my request for a small loan is denied because of the Patriot Act (yes, the loan officer said this to me), I remember.

Every time I use my cell phone and feel leery about saying anything negative about our government, I remember.

I remember that so many of the people who died that day probably didn't think that their deaths would mean that we would lose our freedoms and every single citizen would suddenly become a suspect. 

And I am angry.  Because people died needlessly and because the world was not made a better place from any kind of lesson learned, it was made worse, an illusion of safety at the cost of freedom.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  ~Benjamin Franklin: The Most Dangerous Man in America
~~Amen

1 comment:

  1. "I detest the way something like September 11th is taken from us and turned in to a circus by the media. I don't need them to tell me how to grieve, or even if I should be grieving still."

    I wholeheartedly agree with this!

    By the way, stop over at my blog and pick up an award I posted for you today!! :)

    ReplyDelete