Thursday, March 22, 2012

Needles In Hand

A while ago I happened across a killer sale on super scratchy bright blue yarn at my LYS.  Ok so maybe that doesn't sound so appealing to you.  BUT it was the 'just so' blue my husband loves and when I mentioned it was super scratchy he said, "I love scratchy wool!".  Go figure.

So I went back and bought something like 30 small skeins of it for something like $2.50 each.  This stuff obviously had SWEATER written allllll over it.

I've been meaning to make a sweater.  For like, five years I've been meaning to finally bridge the gap between accessory and fun knitting to 'serius bidness' sweater knitting.

Except it's not that serious and half of it is starting with a simple pattern and I think, with a pattern that knits up one piece at a time.  I'm real big on wanting to know how things work (that's the secret to learning just about anything besides paying close attention btw) and doing a piece by piece sweater is just the ticket.

So without further ado: Piece Number One (the back, not totally done but getting pretty close!
The weird part is that it looks kinda like a skirt.

It's not!  It's the Manly Sweater out of Stitch-n-Bitch, my knitting bible.  I knit on it while I'm on the phone with my husband and love thinking of his surprise when he gets it.

They say never to knit a sweater for your boyfriend.
If this turns out looking like a Theed....well....at least he married me so there's no escape.



first sweater
keys to not hitting a rut: push through something in the pattern you don't like so when you pick it up again it's on something you do like
knitting as therapy or obsession?

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Can't wait to see this project as it comes along. And...um...if it doesn't work out as a sweater, you can always rip it back and I'll wear it as a skirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blue but I'm not so sure *I* would want a scratchy sweater! LOL!!
    Your wisdom to work through the unfun parts and start fresh on a fun part applies in sooo many situations! :)

    ReplyDelete