Sunday, June 17, 2012

A (small) Business is Born

And Fearless Farmgirl is on a mission.

I started making dog treats a while back; I posted about it here.  It's been great fun.  I fudged the recipe a bit, added a bit of this, removed a bit of that and came up with a peanut butter treat that doggies love.  Seriously.  Sam, my dog, will sit there and rivers of drool will come flowing down when I hold up one of these treats.

I posted them on Etsy, nothing happened.  (though my brother did buy a bag, how sweet) I took some in to work and told people about them, not much happened.

Finally I told my friend Susanna I was selling dog treats and a week or so later she said: "Why don't you sell them at my place?" (Hedgeapple Row Farm; doggie daycare) and then all the activity started!

I've been baking about 3lbs of treats a week to keep up with sales and the fact that Susanna now only gives the dogs at her daycare my homemade treats!  I enlisted Mom to be my backup if I get behind.  She's on call......

These are the same people (her and her husband Henry) who gave me the veggie garden.  I helped Henry build the fence so I would know how.  These people are amazing.  I am so blessed to have such supportive friends.

I made a photo story for their wall:
Yup, it's sideways, sorry for the crick in your neck








I decorated the shelf and stocked it:













I got business cards!

And then I dug out my BIG mixing bowls so I can start making double (ahem; triple!)  batches.



Bought large quantities of peanut butter;










Then my friend Susanna says: "Well why dontcha sell your jam here too?"









Whooboy....I'm gonna need a bigger kitchen!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you, how about some kitty treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a vendor that is next to me at our Farmer's Market that does very well selling homemade dog and cat treats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You GO girl!! :)
    It sounds as though you have found the perfect outlet for your doggie treats! Have you approached the vet's office to see if they would be interested in carrying them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. nancy: I have seriously been thinking about kitty treats. So seriously that I bought some canned mackerel and salmon thinking I might give it a go. I'll report back if I do!

    Kristina: I've thought about expanding but I have to be realistic about what I can keep up with. For instance; my parents just dropped a 5lb box of blueberries on me yesterday. Guess jam is next on the shelf!

    Candy: It's a good idea but I'm a little concerned about getting toooo big and about liability so probably not but that's ok, I work 50 hours a week and boy, it would be real easy for things to get out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristina,

    My daughter has been playing around with the idea of doing horse treats as well as dog treats. If you don't mind me askig what do you charge for the treats?

    ReplyDelete