Saturday, August 25, 2012

Oh SAUCE!

Remember these?



I've been canning and canning! You know it's harvest time when it's perfectly normal to walk out of the store with 36 mason jars. I can't complain. Every year I wonder how on earth I'm going to get it all done but it does. get. done.

From this:



To this:



But what to do with all this?



I'm sorry but the do-it-yourselfer in me can't abide waste. I see all those skins and cores and think "Someone could eat that, surely there's a use for it?". And I think there could be, next time. Pectin is derived from apple cores......hmmmmm. I sense a kitchen experiment coming on.

In the meantime ponder this: any empty box, basket or even a cooler why does she DO that?

8 comments:

  1. LOL!! Because she is a CAT!!
    Let us know if you have any luck extracting pectin from the apple peels and cores...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided against it this time! Just too busy right now but someday I'll definitely give her a try!

      Delete
  2. Since we have an appple tree I bought a Roma canning food processor last year for just this kind of thing. I barely cooked my apples, roughly quartered, seeds, skins and all. Ran thru the processor and all that was left was a tiny bit of pulverized skin. It was amazing! Fast and easy... and the chickens loved the scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to have chickens so nothin truly goes to waste (and composting isn't a waste either really) and that food processor sounds great! I've never heard of one. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
    2. I got mine on Amazon, works great, and has an optional 4 blade size kit, to do all kinds of processing. There's very little waste.

      Delete
    3. You know what? I think my husband has something like that already, that's what happens when you live in different states! It will be nice when we finally live together and I can use his great stuff. He used to work at a kitchen store so......

      Delete
  3. Love the cat pic!-there is just something about empty "anything" that they have to be in there. Back in the day of paper grocery bags -that was always the favorite "toy" of our cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will even get inside the plastic shopping bags! One time I caught her running around with her head through the handle panicking. Poor thing but I had to laugh.

      Delete