Thursday, January 24, 2013

Job? Who needs it!

I have to confess over the last few months I have this nagging sensation in the back of my mind that I'm a loser. Why? Because I don't have a job. That's right, I am unemployed at the moment. The problem with my mind is it loves contradiction and while 'loser' is a very strong word, while feeling this way I've also been having an enormously great time.

There.  It's out.  If I could afford, financially, not to work a day job (you know, 9-5 office type job) I would do it in a heartbeat.

Case in point.

Guess which batch is mine; yup, the tidy straight lines is all me.
My husband and I have been sick over the last few days and finally, today, after knitting to my hearts content, reading the Murray family's saga over and over (A Wrinkle In Time et al), and getting on the computer to hunt down killer free crochet patterns; I started to get a little bored.

Gasp! This NEVER happens!

When I get bored I get fidgety. I can't seem to sit still and I wander aimlessly around the house, oblivious to the simpler things (like cleaning) that could cure my boredom or the obvious things (like working on that task list) no, no....I'm looking for something like:

Making pasta.


And I am IN luck because my husband is 100% grandparents-came-over-on-the-boat-and-parents-were-from-the-same-village-in-Italy-Italian.  So!  I spent the afternoon with my husband and his pasta maker, creating something called orecchiette (orra-key-yettay), literally "little ears".


Aren't they cute? See how they get their name? We each pinched them in to shape and would show each other the ones that looked most like an ear: "Wow that's a good one!" The orecchiette isn't the only cuteness going on in this scene.

See my terribly cute Italian themed apron?









I think I'm going to enjoy this life just fine.

14 comments:

  1. I feel for you about feeling lost without a job, but your work at home with making pasta from scratch beats all those negative feelings out. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does beat out the negativity. Perspective is very important! Thanks, it was a ton of fun and my husband relived memories of making pasta with his mother. Nice.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you found a fun way to relieve your boredom and spend some quality time with hubby to boot! The apron is really cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candy, it was fun. Now we're talking about what pasta to make next!

      Delete
  3. I've stayed home for chunks of time when my kids were small. It was a great time, but I did miss interacting with adults! I could have really used the internet then!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I joined the church choir to alleviate total alienation from other adults; he has a men's group one night a week and I have choir practice, it mixes things up a bit!

      Delete
  4. Just wanted to let you know I have finally visited your blog. It's an afternoon of Indiana and Purdue basketball, shitty weather, etc. When you said you were getting fidgety I knew it would lead to food.
    Love you.........Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me well Dad, glad you visited! Talk to you soon.

      Delete
  5. A loss of a job doesn't make one a loser. Jobs come and go, downtime is a precious commodity...use it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself that I should enjoy it, it isn't going to last long once we get the farm going!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why hi Lynette how are you? Hope all is going well in your world. As you can see from my post, I'm enjoying my joblessness immensely. Take care!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ** And... I dig the apron!

    ReplyDelete