Friday, April 12, 2013

Central New York knows no temperance

In my last post I bemoaned the snow. I had onions growing and many things early seeded but.....snow. Well I've heard it's not UNheard of to have a snow storm in June here; this might take a little getting used to!

In the Spring, every farmer hopes for a little temperance. They are out of luck in CNY. We went from 8 inches of snow to 8 inches of rain without hardly a day in between to get stuff done.

My husband and I have been getting very very wet lately.

The hilarious part is he was saying how we can't go down to the farm (it's a decent drive and $30 in gas for us) to work if it's going to rain. I said; "I'm afraid we are being whimps, we have to seed stuff for food!"

Bwahahahah. God heard that.

Because yesterday we spent a good part of the day salvaging plywood and a whole lotta lumber from someone who had knocked down their shed and offered it up for free. And we did this in the rain. At 40 degrees. Slogging through mud.

Next time I get the bright idea to question me or my husbands fortitude, remind me to bite my tongue.

When we were through on our salvage operation, we spent the remainder of the day stuffing our faces with Chinese food and passing out, in the vain hope of getting warm again. It finally worked.

And yet again I am learning that patience is a virtue......that I wish I had more of.

6 comments:

  1. This weather is crazy, isn't it? Patience is a virtue. Or so they say. I'd like to have a stern talk with "them"...whoever they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Partly a blessing but partly driving me crazy. If I had done all that I wanted to do a few days ago, it's likely the seeds would have rotted in the ground.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing what we'll do for free stuff! Been there, done that and will again -grin-.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craigslist is an amazing resource for this. And my husband and I have already come to terms with our lives as scavengers. It's just too easy to get what you need from the stuff people want to throw away!

      Delete
  3. Minnesota has had it's share of major weather inconveniences this spring as well. How many mud seasons can one spring hold?!? As soon as it starts to dry up, it snows again! It's pretty, but truly out of place at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if we might get one more snow before all is said and done. Living near water sure makes for interesting weather!

      Delete