Monday, April 29, 2013

Little patch of shelter

I thought I'd share a bit about what's going on in our sun porch right now.








I've been awfully busy starting seeds early - thank goodness b.c. with this late spring who knows when we'd have been pulling in a harvest!
Nope, not sowing them all but close!




















My fav little spot right now is my potting table. It's a well loved enamel top table that belonged to my husband's grandmother. It will be our work table in our tiny little home once it's built. But for now; it's where I sow seeds, look out the windows and daydream, and soak up some sun without the cold wind to rip the warmth away from me.
Surface of my 'potting table'

I've purchased a gardening apron made of sturdy canvas with just right pockets. I'm not at all afraid to get this one dirty and wipe my grimy hands on its front more oftener than not.


And if we have any reservations about having enough food this season; let me present to you 157 Copenhagen Market cabbages and at least 200-300 leeks, 40 broccoli, 100 escarole and 65 tomatoes not to mention 225 onions already in the ground.


We found an inexpensive way to transplant from egg cartons to plastic cups ($1.99 for 100). I don't like using plastic but I console myself with the fact that we'll likely use them repeatedly and when they are completely un-usable, I'll recycle them.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a WHOLE lotta seeds! You go girl!
    I love that table and do I spy your Farmgirl Sisterhood necklace? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! yes I was trying to be artsy you know. It's a lot of work keeping track of all my 'babies' but so far so good! Happy Farming!

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful table and I love the working apron!

    ReplyDelete