Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Sound of Silence



Silence is underrated.

"Hello darkness my old friend....."

When we get a moment of it we don't know what to do so we fill it with thought, speech, and what was for a moment rare and beautiful, is no longer.

(or FEEL for that matter)


I think I miss quite a lot by talking so much. I used to think that talking got what was going on inside my head (you know, that superhighway of thought) out and therefore alleviated some of the 'traffic' between my ears.



(mmmmm....ice cream)






Today I took a vow of silence.  


For an indeterminate period of time and with some exceptions (prayer and in group settings) I will not speak. What I'm already discovering is that my mental traffic has actually slowed down a bit. I'm experiencing a level of contemplation I don't normally.

There is a modicum of peace in refraining from flapping your jaw unnecessarily. If I must communicate I write it down. There's the real deal: I have to think through what I want to communicate. I can't create doilies (as writing one down would take a year) and I can't offend, sound snide, use the wrong word etc. because I have to put it down on paper.

I think I may have found the key to effective communication. Everyone must write everything down first.

Imagine how much shorter the laws would be, how much simpler life would be if we would simply:

Think before speaking

Bwahahah.  And don't forget to laugh at yourself.......and your relatives.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughtful post. Seems that sometimes those with the most to say really have the least to say. Please do a follow-up post about your experience as time goes by. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I will do a follow up post. Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  2. Most of my days are spent in silence...save for talking to the animals and my life is richer for it. Larry Hagman, actor who plays J R Ewing, wouldn't speak on Sundays; he said it was to rest his voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems some think the more words you say the better. "If we just keep talking, eventually something will make sense!"

      Not so. It just creates confusion. I'm enjoying my vow and yesterday, when I found myself slipping up, the words I chose, I chose carefully.

      Delete