Thursday, May 16, 2013

To eat or...oooo pretty!

Our little set-up camping out on our land; homey.
It's been hair-on-fire here at the homestead (all 4 of them). Today is the official last frost date for my area (and there was frost last night) so starting tomorrow, we are digging in, sweating buckets and planting planting planting.

There's already been a little activity in our beds (I should say 'bed' since currently there's only one called 'primo' because it was the first).
PRIMO with 225 onion sets, fava beans, lettuce, leeks and escarole






The onions are looking good, the fava beans finally decided to poke through and the lettuces are filling in nicely with their guardian angel watching on.





We're finally putting some hand made tools to use which is rewarding. 


Our garden cart and soil sifter both made by my husband



And we planted 101 red raspberry canes with another 30 or so to go in the ground tomorrow. 



I have a degree in Horticulture and while it has served me well, at times I find myself having to side-step my training and remember I'M A FARMER. Because it is different.

Take Daylilies (or ditch lilies as these are). To a horticulturist they are a pretty, albeit overused, perennial with grassy foliage and a wide variety of flowers.  To a FARMER they are dinner.


These made part of dinner the other night
All parts of the daylily are edible. The tender whitish green stems all the way down to the roots and tubers (mild and tasteless like water chestnuts). So we planted a bunch with food in mind and the flowers (also edible) will add a nice touch to the dinner table as fritters from time to time.







Yesterday we got to wander around a bit and found a large number of choke cherries, service berries and (manna from heaven!) wild leeks or ramps as they are called. Eating is going to be so much fun with so many natural foods at our disposal as long as I can start to see their beauty as food as well as fancy.

6 comments:

  1. We have day lilies here also, but not so many that I've decided to dig them up and eat them. One day I will.

    Could you post a picture of your wild leeks, maybe the bottom parts? We have something that I call wild garlic, but someone else tells me it's onion. It smells like garlic and tastes like garlic, so I'm calling it garlic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Carolyn, I'll get a few pictures over the next couple days and post another blog with them for you.

      They are pretty oniony smelling I think but onion and garlic are close relatives!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to give daylilies a try, in the kitchen I mean. I have plenty. Are all cultivars edible? I have Stella d'Oro and Inca Gold. Recently a friend gave me the wild kind, with much bigger leaves. Perhaps only that kind is edible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe all kinds are edible but it's possible the wild kind might develop larger tubers. I'd dig up a little of each and compare but either way they are all edible!

      Delete
  3. do you trust frost dates? I don't; I've been frost bitten too many times and had to replace the garden more than once. Now I think of June 1 as my frost date; May 14th just doesn't do it for me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to but no longer! It pays to wait, especially with tomatoes. Besides, most things just kinda limp along in the cooler weather anyway. Yup; patience is a virtue, and that's ok. Every time I think we are super far behind on planting, we get a 38 degree evening cold snap and I think "We're doin' juuuust fine!"

      Delete