Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Of Hands and Heart

This has to be one of the hardest Christmases I have ever had to go through. Not because I am wanting in anything at all. I am not. I am well. I have a warm home and many things to be thankful for. No, this Christmas is the hardest I can remember because it is the first one, while of adult age, that I have not been able to spend much on those I love.

I have always tried to give thoughtful gifts at Christmastime. Gifts that show I know the person and have taken the time to find them something they will truly enjoy. I am sure I have failed miserably at times (a neck tie made of sock yarn for my uncle) but I am pretty sure I have been successful more often than I have failed.

This year, due to financial constraints, I made as many things as possible but MEN, oh men are so hard to buy for let alone make something for. Crocheted watch band? Knitted hat? (I swear none of the men in my family wear hats, blast it).

But for the things I did make this year I have one wish; that my family members realize that while I cannot be with them at Christmas, the hours I spent making things for them WERE hours spent with them. Spent for them. This Christmas, I could not give gifts with much thought, I could not give gifts bought with much money, this years' gifts were purchased with my time. Hour after loving hour creating something beautiful for those I love.

Some will understand this, and some will not, but I sincerely hope that when they open their gifts for Christmas, they understand that they are looking at a creation not only of my hands but also of my heart.

Merry Christmas to everyone and blessings for the New Year.
posted from Bloggeroid

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing you did, I love the items you have pictured & know if I was one to get them I would be thrilled. Like you this year is lean & no $ for even postage so everyone thankfully understands no gifts...but they know I love them & that is all I can give this year.....happy holidays honey to you & your family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele, I am sure I am not the only one! Happy holidays to you too and wishing you a great 2014

      Delete
  2. As we grow older (and wiser, hopefully) with age, I believe that the heartfelt & homemade gifts truly are the best. Merry Christmas to you & yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I have just gotten to the point where the last thing I need is more stuff. But something made by hand? Just right.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. When I buy gifts for people just to have something to give them, I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling I would if it had been a gift with lots of thought and love. Happy Holidays to you and yours. (and give Sam a pat from me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Jean. Sam is almost always curled up on his bed, tucked in for the long winter! Thought truly is what matters. Have a good New Year!

      Delete
  4. I adored my snowflake! To be sure ~~ It's a magical gift from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think crochet snowflakes are always welcome and, for the men, perhaps a scarf or home made goodies,,,always in season. Hand crafted, hand made, heart felt is always in season.

    ReplyDelete