Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Crafting Slam

Right around the 1st of October I get slammed with crafting urges.  My husband has learned to spot it coming from a month away. I start thinking of all the different things I could make for Christmas gifts, I start with small projects, little things here and there. Gradually I think of making sets of things and multiples of things and before you know it, in my head, I've created a 15 snowflake mobile for everyone in our family.


Now, if i didnt have a part time job, a house to look after and oodles of other things to take care of, this might fly. As it is, it is not a very popular idea and usually, my husband is able to talk me down from my crafting high with talk of logic and common sense.  Logic and common sense? Is he crazy? Who would not want a snowflake mobile?

These crafting interventions sometimes end with me promising to craft behind his back. Which proves his point nicely.  Sigh. O.k! I can't let the dishes pile to the ceiling a la Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout in the name of hand crafted goodies for everyone in my family, at work, at church and their families?



Fine.But next year, I'm starting in February.
posted from Bloggeroid

6 comments:

  1. Oh how this post resonates with me! We are in total agreement...who would NOT want a snowflake mobile, handcrafted by loving hands? I'll tell you who...Philistines!
    I'm putting together Christmas baskets this year for family. The gift list has been culled drastically; everyone has everything they need so I make donations to the Gideons International in their names. The gift baskets are filled with home made foods and a very small store bought something or other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love the basket idea and have used it when I live in a different area than the rest of my family - regional things they can't get like Coney dogs or something....hm...maybe next year.

      Delete
  2. I start making ornaments right after Christmas. It helps me a lot. I used to make them all summer long, but now I'm a gardener/goat and chicken babysitter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals definitely add to the mix don't they?

      Delete
  3. Guilty! If only we could squeeze another six hours out of our day, no? I don't know about your family, but a handmade snowflake mobile sounds awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try sooooo hard to wake up earlier and get to bed later but last night, after driving 2 hours home from work in white out conditions part of the way, I passed out on the couch at 10:30. Totally done. Ah well. Still love it.

      Delete