Sunday, January 25, 2015

Gathering Roses on Sunday

Moving is always an adventure. I've moved nine times in my life. This move will be number 10. The first house I remember was in a small railroad town in the midwest. My brother and I would catch crawdads in the small creek that ran nearby and try to catch fish with them. I remember wandering among my mother's 6 foot tall sunflowers. Pretty sure she needed an axe when it came time to chop them down. 

At that same house, my father lifted me up to peek at sky blue robin eggs cradled in a nest inside a blue spruce tree. I can still feel my sense of wonder. I carried that sense of wonder with me ever after. Thanks dad.
Home is not four or seven walls. Home is the people you love. You take home with you everywhere you go. I rarely remember the walls, the carpets or the furniture of a house I've lived in, I always remember the love and the people. 

This time as we pack up the years, the memories in this house are not mine. This house was my husband's family home. Generations lived under its suburban roof. Despite only knowing his family's most recent generation, I feel the pull of memories from all he has told me. Story upon story of these people, his people, now gone, whom I have grown to love.
Leaving is hard. It almost always will be. But staying would be harder. Home is within. You carry it from place to place.
You keep plodding your route to your own future, whatever that may be, and you live for what you hope might be, understanding that those who are now gone...did the same exact thing.

7 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Any change is bittersweet. I hope you make new memories in your new home. Where are you going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean, that's quite a compliment from someone who writes for a living and I appreciate it. We are moving on to our farm and making the final transition.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully put, Patty, with great perspective. I find it difficult to move, too, and know each place in the past holds its own special memories. But, so true, and so well-put, that "home is the people you love."

    ~ Liz :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. You have been part of making our new place feel like home. :-)

      Delete
  3. Best of luck, Patty in your new adventure! You are so right, a house is a house. It's the life you live in it that really counts. I can't wait to hear about your 'new' home and all the memories you will be creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. We are anxious to get started on this new life; it's been a loooong time coming!

      Delete
  4. I agree wholeheartedly! My home is wherever my husband is, whether it's in a one bedroom apartment or a grand house ~~ it matters not. He is my home on earth. In heaven, my home is with, The Keeper of the Stars. *big hug dear friend* ~Susanna

    ReplyDelete