Thursday, February 4, 2016

Finding My Fearlessness

Fearlessness is Possible I truly believe that now.

Somewhere in between the feminist brain washing, the cleverly captured photos of tiny houses that cost thousands of dollars to build and the ideas of what I thought life would be like.....was me. I'm still here. I am still fearless. But let me take you on a little journey that started about three years ago.

Who we are and who we claim to be are often very different. Who we are and who others think we are is even more different. When your life is built on the sand of self-promotion, when desire doesn't produce results because you are too afraid of taking that first step, you are now a prisoner of your own design.

In the paragraph above 'we' is me and 'you' is me. And neither of them are me at all.

It's as simple as counting beans; one, two, three. Challenge your ideas of who you are. Don't listen to those who try to keep you from changing (including yourself) because they are so scared of change they don't care if you will be a better person (and prefer you not be) because that would be different, your relationship with them would be different, and like the Goblin King in The Labyrinth their power over you would be gone.

So here we are, 2016. My fearlessness started out as a statement about how I would dive in to learning new things with no fear of failure. I did well. I learned lots of skills: canning, making jam, baking bread, dying wool, spinning yarn, crocheting, making cheese, making soap, baking dog treats etc. etc.  But skills like this only get you so far.

If you can't work with others; you are doomed to be alone. If you can't accept that you have faults and failings; you are doomed to keep them. If you can't discern who to listen to and who to ignore; you will walk around in a state of constant confusion. If your thoughts are always about your own wants and needs; you will never know true love.

I know this is a very personal blog post. But I think it's time we got personal. I've been claiming to be fearless for several years now and it's time I dive in to life the same way I've dived in to less important things. Stay tuned. Some days it feels like life is just beginning. <3 Me.

8 comments:

  1. You've got me hooked. I, too, am on a path to discovery. Seems to be the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's a new year? Maybe it's because I'm closer to 40? All the best to you on your path....life is truly a journey!

      Delete
  2. This is an interesting post. Since I retired, I have been unable to figure out big goals. It's been awful.
    Then, I let go and just kept on. Forest bathing, and, yes, checking the trailcam.
    What you said is true,it's just like a present. I'm going to remember that!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading an excellent book right now about NOT setting goals. About being a 'river' person instead of being goal-oriented. It's been very good for me so far. I would share the name but I can't think of it! Grr.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! I love the part- "If you can't work with others; you are doomed to be alone. If you can't accept that you have faults and failings; you are doomed to keep them. If you can't discern who to listen to and who to ignore; you will walk around in a state of constant confusion." I'm in a work environment that can be frustrating with a lot of workers who waste a lot of time and yak yak yak. I need to just tune it out and do my job :) I also need to think less about what others think of me and just do my thing. Life's too short. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you got something good out of my post. Thinking too much about what others think of me is one of my pitfalls too. I find myself tweaking things I do and say to avoid others' displeasure. But then, I'm not myself. Not good! Best of luck to you.

      Delete
  4. Patty, I think you are one of the bravest people I've met. To go on a life changing journey, traveling across country to adapt to a lifestyle of self creativity takes more courage than I would ever have.. I check your blog often to see if you've posted. You keep being creative, live your life as you want, and the heck with the rest. And I'll keep looking for posts.. Linda D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda you are the sweetest. Thanks for those words. I forget sometimes what an amazing adventure life can be!

      Delete