Thursday, February 25, 2016

Turning the Corner

Right about now I usually start to smell spring. Call me crazy, but there's something in the air right now that isn't there mid-January. Add to that the softening rains, the constant winds bringing snow, rain, sleet and 49 degrees all in one day and you'll find me with my wrists buried in potting soil, starting onions from seed.

This year is going to be so vastly different from last year. Although hopefully not too different, look at the gorgeous corn we grew last year. Whew. Stunner.


Last year we had so much going on I couldn't think straight, had no memory (that's still recovering with the help of Ginkgo) and just held on to my butt until everything passed. And it did pass. I don't know why we (I) try so hard to hang on to how things are at any given moment when change can just as likely bring you better things as worse and which one depends quite a lot on your attitude.

We have spinach seedlings growing under here. And I have to mention that this was a couple days ago, when we had -26 around 7am.

It's different living on the farm. We both have noticed how we are able to pay more attention to this living breathing entity that we are trying to scratch a living out of. The moment the soil thaws. The gradual shifting of the sunrise. The incremental increase in daylight. Never will a spring feel so sweet!



2 comments:

  1. I think that's why I prefer to live somewhere with four seasons (although, sometimes it seems like two - winter/summer). Thanks to winter, spring is definitely so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Don't think Florida would ever do for me!

      Delete