Tuesday, June 14, 2016

When Life Gives You Lamb's Quarters......

The aftermath of hand weeding lamb's quarters out of spinach
We've nearly done it. We've nearly completed all 40 of our 20ft. long raised beds for veggies. We keep plugging away at it, one foot in front of the other. This fall is going to be fantabulous. We hope.  First, we need to keep on top of the weeding. I mean, holy Toledo! That's one of the drawbacks with organic but even if you weren't organic, you can't exactly spray dead your spinach so weed around it by hand you must!

The tasty beast













Our spinach was doing well for a time. The lamb's quarters were tiny and Fearless said to herself: "I'll just wait 'til they're a little bigger so they're easier to pull out".  Ha!  Big mistake. That 'little bigger' didn't happen. Instead, gigantically bigger choking out the spinach, lettuce and escarole DID happen. So yes, get our your tweezers and pull those buggers when they're small y'all.  I admit yesterday afternoon I was feeling a bit disheartened. But feelings are kind of ridiculous sometimes.

And then the silver lining.

Lots, and lots of it
I had heard that lamb's quarters were edible and good but had yet to try them. Last night I made some greens and beans with them and loved, I mean, loved more than spinach loved them. So guess what? Yup, the spinach is out and the lamb's quarters is IN. Rather than look at the spindly spinach in despair, this morning I went out with scissors and a tub full of clean water, whacked off as much lamb's quarters as I could stuff in the tub, wilted in and processed it and we now have about 7 pints of canned, delectable, tender yummy lamb's quarters. I am no weeding around the lamb's quarters and looking forward to a second flush of growth. I will likely be able to can even more and our failure at weeding the spinach bed will turn in to a whopping success at eating the weeds. God does provide, if we but see it.
Wilting prior to canning

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It reminds me a lot of spinach but 'greener' if that makes sense. It also made my stomach feel very happy. Hope you get a chance to try some!

      Delete